As Far As Words Go: Activities for Understanding Ambiguous Language and Humor, Revised Edition
On Sale Now! Save 6% on the As Far As Words Go: Activities for Understanding Ambiguous Language and Humor, Revised Edition by Brookes Publishing at Translate This Website. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. Understanding ambiguous words, phrases, and sentences is an important part of reading well, communicating skillfully, and enjoying humor based on
Understanding ambiguous words, phrases, and sentences is an important part of reading well, communicating skillfully, and enjoying humor based on word play. With this seven-unit activity book—filled with creative, ready-to-use activities based on jokes and puns—students will learn how to decipher the language ambiguities they encounter inside and outside the classroom.
Ideal for use with students in the upper elementary grades through high school and beyond, As Far As Words Go is what speech-language pathologists and education professionals need to
- improve students' literacy and communication skills, including semantic, metalinguistic, and pragmatic skills
- help students correctly interpret multiple-meaning words and phrases, such as homographs and homophones, idioms and proverbs, and metaphors and similes
- teach a wide range of students, especially those who have language or learning disability, or are learning English as a second language
- make learning fun with dozens of activities and a printable board game
- work with students in small group or one-to-one settings
- promote development of the skills students need to decode language complexities and humor cues independently when they occur in everyday language
To help professionals use the activities successfully, this book includes enlightening summaries of relevant research, background information on the language concepts, and specific techniques for presenting the activities and helping students generalize new skills in other settings. SLPs and educators will also get the practical content they need to implement the activities and assess student progress (see below).
A natural follow-up to Cecile Cyrul Spector's Sounds Like Fun, these engaging, effective activities will help students grasp the subtleties and complexities of the English language-so they can become more skillful readers and communicators.
With easy-to-use practical content:
- Photocopiable forms for assessing a student's understanding of ambiguous language and humor
- Full-color, easy-to-assemble game mat & both color- and icon-coded game cards—easy to print or photocopy
- Printable template for creating additional game cards
- Guide to common idioms and proverbs, including the ones used in the activities
|Item Weight:||1.28 pounds|
|Item Size:||0.5 x 11 x 11 inches|
|Package Weight:||1.15 pounds|
|Package Size:||8.3 x 0.7 x 0.7 inches|