Lost Gay Novels: A Reference Guide to Fifty Works from the First Half of the Twentieth Century
Mega Sale! Save 22% on the Lost Gay Novels: A Reference Guide to Fifty Works from the First Half of the Twentieth Century by Brand: Routledge at Translate This Website. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. Searching for an introduction to the shadowy, intriguing world of early 20th century gay-themed fiction? In Lost Gay Novels, respected pop culture
In Lost Gay Novels, respected pop culture historian Anthony Slide resurrects fifty early 20th century American novels with gay themes or characters and discusses them in carefully researched, engaging prose. Each entry offers you a detailed discussion of plot and characters, a summary of contemporary critical reception, and biographical information on the often-obscure writer. In Lost Gay Novels, another aspect of gay life and society is, in the words the author, “uncloseted,” providing you with an absorbing glimpse into the world of these nearly forgotten books.
Lost Gay Novels gives you an introduction to:
- authors who aren't usually associated with homosexuality, including John Buchan, James M. Cain, and Rex Stout
- the history of gay publishing in the US and abroad
- gay themes in novels published between 1917 and 1950—with entries from nearly every year!
- the ways in which the popular culture of the time shaped the authors' attitudes toward homosexuality
- the difficulty of finding detailed biographical information on little-known authors
As Slide says in his introduction: “The approach of the novelist toward homosexuality may not always be a positive one… but the works are important to an understanding of contemporary attitudes toward gay men and gay society.” Lost Gay Novels will help you further your own understanding of the dynamic relationship between literature and culture, and you will finish the book with a greater appreciation of modern American gay fiction.
|Item Weight:||0.74 pounds|
|Item Size:||0.49 x 8.35 x 8.35 inches|
|Package Weight:||0.73 pounds|
|Package Size:||6.02 x 0.57 x 0.57 inches|