Master everything you need to build a 2D game using Unity 5 by developing a complete RPG game framework!
About This Book
- Explore the new features of Unity 5 and recognize obsolete code and elements.
- Develop and build a complete 2D retro RPG with a conversation system, inventory, random map battles, full game menus, and sound.
- This book demonstrates how to use the new Unity UI system effectively through detailed C# scripts with full explanations.
Who This Book Is For
This book is for anyone looking to get started developing 2D games with Unity 5. If you're already accomplished in Unity 2D and wish to expand or supplement your current Unity knowledge, or are working in 2D in Unity 4 and looking to upgrade Unity 5, this book is for you. A basic understanding of programming logic is needed to begin learning with this book, but intermediate and advanced programming topic are explained thoroughly so that coders of any level can follow along. Previous programming experience in C# is not required.
What You Will Learn
- Create a 2D game in Unity 5 by developing a complete retro 2D RPG framework.
- Effectively manipulate and utilize 2D sprites.
- Create 2D sprite animations and trigger them effectively with code.
- Write beginning to advanced-level C# code using MonoDevelop.
- Implement the new UI system effectively and beautifully.
- Use state machines to trigger events within your game.
The Unity engine has revolutionized the gaming industry, by making it easier than ever for indie game developers to create quality games on a budget. Hobbyists and students can use this powerful engine to build 2D and 3D games, to play, distribute, and even sell for free!
This book will help you master the 2D features available in Unity 5, by walking you through the development of a 2D RPG framework. With fully explained and detailed C# scripts, this book will show you how to create and program animations, a NPC conversation system, an inventory system, random RPG map battles, and full game menus. After your core game is complete, you'll learn how to add finishing touches like sound and music, monetization strategies, and splash screens. You ll then be guided through the process of publishing and sharing your game on multiple platforms. After completing this book, you will have the necessary knowledge to develop, build, and deploy 2D games of any genre!
Style and approach
This book takes a step-by-step practical tutorial style approach. The steps are accompanied by examples, and all the intermediate steps will be clearly explained. The focus of this book will obviously be on the advanced topics so that the game looks and performs efficiently.