Studying English Literature and Language: An Introduction and Companion
Huge Savings Item! Free Shipping Included! Save 11% on the Studying English Literature and Language: An Introduction and Companion by Routledge at Translate This Website. MPN: 34379099. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. Studying English Literature and Language is unique in offering both an introduction and a companion for students taking English Literature and
Studying English Literature and Language is unique in offering both an introduction and a companion for students taking English Literature and Language degrees. Combining the functions of study guide, critical dictionary and text anthology, this is a freshly recast version of the highly acclaimed The English Studies Book.
This third edition features:
- fresh sections on the essential skills and study strategies needed to complete a degree in English―from close reading, research and referencing to full guidelines and tips on essay-writing, participating in seminars, presentations and revision
- an authoritative guide to the life skills, further study options and career pathways open to graduates of the subject
- updated introductions to the major theoretical positions and approaches taken by scholars in the field, from earlier twentieth century practical criticism to the latest global and ecological perspectives
- extensive entries on key terms such as ‘author, ‘genre’, ‘narrative’ and ‘translation’ widely current in debates across language, literature and culture
- coverage of both local and global varieties of the English language in a range of media and discourses, including news, advertising, text messaging, rap, pop and street art
- an expansive anthology representing genres and discourses from early elegy and novel to contemporary performance, flash fiction, including writers as diverse as Aphra Behn, Emily Dickinson, J.M. Coetzee, Angela Carter, Russell Hoban, Adrienne Rich and Arundhati Roy
- a comprehensive, regularly updated companion website supplying further information and activities, sample analyses and a wealth of stimulating and reliable links to further online resources.
Studying English Literature and Language is a wide-ranging and invaluable reference for anyone interested in the study of English language, literature and culture.
|Item Weight:||1.5 pounds|
|Item Size:||1.01 x 9.69 x 9.69 inches|
|Package Weight:||1.9 pounds|
|Package Size:||7.32 x 1.1 x 1.1 inches|
Have questions about this item, or would like to inquire about a custom or bulk order?
If you have any questions about this product by Routledge, contact us by completing and submitting the form below. If you are looking for a specif part number, please include it with your message.
Related Best Sellers
By Nancy Cloud
mpn: black & white tables, figures, ean: 9780325022642, isbn: 9780325022642,
Teaching English Language Learners to read and write is challenging. Every classroom teacher, ESL teacher, and reading specialist shares this crucial responsibility. These educators need research-based practices to help them meet the challenge, and L...
By Oasis Audio
mpn: 039601, ean: 9781589269064, isbn: 9781589269064,
Simple ideas, lasting love.Between busy schedules and long days, expressing love can fall by the wayside. We forget to compliment, to give gifts “just because,” to linger in an embrace. The things that say “I love you” seem to either not get ...
By Oxford University Press
ean: 9780199590599, isbn: 0199590591,
How many languages are there? Are new languages still being discovered? Why are so many languages disappearing? In this Very Short Introduction, eminent linguist Stephen Anderson addresses such questions as he illuminates the science behind languages...
By Harper Paperbacks
ean: 9780688149499, isbn: 0688149499,
The key to communication, says linguistic anthropologist Michael Agar, is understanding the context and culture of conversation. In Language Shock, Agar reveals how deeply our language and cultural values intertwine to define who we are and how we re...
ean: 9781405124416, isbn: 1405124415,
Accessible and clearly written, Living Language: An Introduction to Linguistic Anthropology introduces readers to the study of language in real-life social contexts around the world through the contemporary theory and practice of linguistic anthropol...
mpn: 45786073, ean: 9780262533492, isbn: 0262533499,
Berwick and Chomsky draw on recent developments in linguistic theory to offer an evolutionary account of language and humans' remarkable, species-specific ability to acquire it.“A loosely connected collection of four essays that will fascinate anyo...
By Tompkins, Gail E.
mpn: illustrations, ean: 9780131720060, isbn: 0131720066,
This new book from the leading name in literacy and language arts has been crafted to provide concise, critical information for teaching the language arts, backed by the most current and applicable research available. The “essentials” format g...
sku: 9780495906414, ean: 9780495906414, isbn: 9780495906414,
The third edition of A BIOGRAPHY OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE continues to examine the structure of English, from its Indo-European pre-history, through the invasions that shaped Old and Middle English, through its speakers' conscious efforts to police it...
By Cengage Learning
mpn: 2010, ean: 9781428263925, isbn: 1428263926,
Assuming no prior knowledge of linguistics, AN INTRODUCTION TO LANGUAGE, Ninth Edition, is appropriate for a variety of fields--including education, languages, psychology, anthropology, English, and teaching English as a Second Language (TESL)--at bo...
By Harris Communications
mpn: BDVD177A, ean: 9781563685071, isbn: 1563685078,
Completely reorganized to reflect the growing intricacy of the study of ASL linguistics, the 5th edition presents 26 units in seven parts. Part One: Introduction presents a revision of Defining Language and an entirely new unit, Defining Linguistics....